Travel Book Seoul
Raphaël Urwiller and Mayumi Otero, the two artists behind Icinori, capture the beating heart of the South Korean capital, immersing themselves in its customs and performing arts, its layers of history and chinks in everyday life. They illustrate the many details that make up the life of the city: residents' rhythms, the movement of the street, traders, shopping, cosmetic surgery salons, street food. «Seoul is an organic city, with astonishing creative energy and great visual elegance, as seen in its powerful design and sophisticated signage. Good taste is everywhere, sometimes a bit crazy, but universal. It is a mix of the baroque and the modern», say the duo.
Icinori is a studio of designers, visual artists, screen printers and publishers founded in 2007 by Raphaël Urwiller and Mayumi Otero while they were still students at the Ecole Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs in Strasbourg. Since then, they have been traveling, exploring, observing, illustrating and drawing together with a breath-taking attention to detail, displaying the sort of meticulousness that typifies only the most passionate of artists. They have published around 30 books and their work has featured in leading newspapers and magazines including Le Monde, Les Inrockuptibles, The New York Times, Forbes and The New Yorker.
The Louis Vuitton Travel Book collection is an invitation to real and virtual voyages. In its pages, the illustrations of renowned artists and promising young talents tell the stories of the cities and countries they have visited. The creative worlds on show are highly diverse: during their travels, these artists from various corners of the world were free to choose their mode of expression, from painting and illustration to collage and manga.
- 11 x 7.5 inches
- 160 pages
- Trilingual edition in French, English and Korean
- 100-120 exclusive drawings, the artists' biography and travelogue
- Silkscreen-printed cloth binding, bookmark
- To mark the opening of Louis Vuitton Maison Seoul, the House has worked with Google to use Google Lens, a new way to search what you see using your smartphone camera, to bring this Travel Book to life by connecting immersive digital content to the physical images on the pages. Marking one of the first Google Lens experiences in the world of literature, Icinori’s Louis Vuitton Travel Book Seoul turns into a veritable interactive travel experience.
- By connecting immersive digital content to physical images on paper, the Google Lens technology brings the Louis Vuitton Travel Book Seoul to life in an entirely new way. How to use Google Lens with the Louis Vuitton Travel Book Seoul:
- 1. Download the Google Lens app from the Google Play Store (Android) or the Google app from the App Store (iOS)
- 2. Open Lens (Android) or open the Google app and tap the Lens logo on the right (iOS)
- 3. Point the camera at one of the five images above of the Travel Book Seoul and wait until it comes alive: Front Cover, Character Gallery, Bulgogi, Printers, Louis Vuitton Maison Seoul by Frank Gehry.